Here is the National Recycling Coalition response:
- The national recycling rate is about 30%. U.S. EPA has set a goal of 35%.
- Many easily recycled materials are still thrown away. For example, 78% of glass containers, 60% of aluminum cans, 41% of steel cans, 45% of paper and paperboard containers and packaging are not currently recycled.
- Many Americans focus on recycling in the kitchen, but forget about products and packaging consumed elsewhere, like bathrooms, laundry rooms and garages.
- Americans are increasingly on the go, and we can do much more to make recycling convenient in public places, from downtown streets to shopping malls and sports stadiums.
- We are nowhere near our potential, especially if manufacturers make products easier to recycle.