12.02.2008

Answer the Call


Guest Blogger - Clare

I’ve had only four cell phones. I’m one of those people who would rather duct tape the phone back together than to shell out $$$ to get another one. Despite this, I have been holding onto two of my old phones for years because I don’t know what to do with them. They live in a box, taking up space, along with their old chargers in my closet. Sound familiar?


Lucky for us, The Environmental Media Association is launching a national campaign to recycle cell phones. Get this: they will not only tell you where to ship your old phones (and PDAs, beepers, battery chargers etc.), they will PAY for your postage. Simply fill out the form on this Web site and they’ll e-mail you the label. Remember to remove your SIM card and clear personal information before you send the phone off.

Cell Phone Facts (from EMA Web site):

- The average consumer replaces a cell phone every nine months.

- 75% of those phones are sitting around gathering dust.

- There are hundreds of millions of phones waiting to be recycled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no excuse for anyone to throw away a cell phone. There are just too many opportunities to recycle it or donate it. I hadn't heard of this campaign, but I like the tie-in to The Spirit. I don't have high hopes for the movie--the trailer seems to have more style than substance--but if it can get people to recycle their phones, I'm happy!