7.09.2009

N.C. Central Revamps Recycling

Guest Blogger – Wambui, Summer Intern
According to an article in Campus Echo, N.C. Central University, in conjunction with Orange Recycling Services, started a recycling program in November of 2008. But will the momentum catch on?

This past semester I remember seeing the big blue bins in the narrow school corridors. The bins were annoying as students had to share the narrow corridor. At the back of my mind, I had always known that recycling was important, but I did not understand how the process worked.

This summer, I am interning with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. I have learned a lot which has changed my recycling habits. I look forward to spreading this helpful information to my fellow students.

Our office initiated a program with the NCCU gym during the Pro-Am Basketball Tournament. We will be helping spread the recycling message to the whole community. NCCU has come a long way since the 2004 Campus Echo article by Marcus Roundtree. In his article, Roundtree calls attention to the fact that NCCU is not recycling as much as it should. I believe these efforts will sensitize the students to participate fully in the program that has already been put in place. Let us all be the change that we want to see!

No comments: