11.30.2009

N.C. YAIO Internship

Guest Blogger – Clare

Each Summer the North Carolina Youth Advocacy and Involvement Office sponsors more than 100 paid internships with state agencies and departments for college students that are North Carolina residents. The program is competitive and the type of internships it provides attracts students from all majors and backgrounds. The summer of my junior year at UNC-Chapel Hill I was a N.C. YAIO intern. I interned for Historic Stagville state historic site in Durham. I was a History major and was seriously considering getting my Masters in Public History, so being able to see how a state historical site operated was crucial in deciding my future. And while I loved Historic Stagville and the people there, I decided that I was meant for Public Administration instead. I might have been able to find this out through volunteering, but because of YAIO I could get paid for my efforts which allowed me to devote the entire summer for my internship and really experience what working for a state historic site is like.

This summer, N.C. DPPEA will be lucky enough to host one of these interns. This year we’re looking for a Graphic Design student to help create visual materials for the three recycling campaigns: Recycle Guys, RE3.org, and the soon to be unveiled Recycle More NC campaign. This includes media for print, work on three Web sites, video editing and more. This is a great opportunity for Graphic Design, Digital Media or Art students to beef up their portfolios while getting paid. And besides, we’re loads of fun to work with (at least I am). So if you or someone you know is looking for an internship (preferably a Graphic Design one), please check out the N.C. YAIO site and apply today. The deadline is January 20, so you’ll have time to work on it during the holidays.


Click here for the YAIO website. The DPPEA internship is #81 in the program booklet.

No comments: