3.18.2011

Conclusion to My Alabama Waste Disposal Adventure

Kristen Aubut

After an exhausting and amusing week, we had my grandmother’s whole house cleaned out. With Dad and Jill driving the moving truck and Ellen, Shane and I in the Subaru, we made our way back to Raleigh. If I had more time, I would tell you about the 12-hour uncomfortable journey home and the challenges we faced as we unpacked everything back in Raleigh. But, I don’t have time, so I am at the end of my packing adventure tale.

From this story, I hope you were able to uncover the many waste disposal themes and lessons. Just in case you weren’t, here they are:

· Disposing of junk properly can be a pain, but making the effort is important.

· Hold onto things so they can be used again. But, be organized so you don’t drive your family crazy.

· Make sure you know what is recyclable in your community.

· Donate belongings you no longer want. Maybe someone else can use them.

· Not every piece of junk you have in your house can be donated to Goodwill.

· Soup kitchens are always in need of food donations.

· Don’t try to eat steak that has been in the freezer for an unknown amount of time.

· Make sure you know how to properly dispose of household hazardous waste in your community.

· Know the operating procedures of your local landfill before going there.

· Don’t wear flip flops if you plan on going to the top of a landfill.

· Don’t put so many pesticides and fertilizers on your lawn.

· Read Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring.

· Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading about your adventures. Thanks for giving me another reason to shun flip flops.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just had a question about your website, re3ord.blogspot.com, and found it fun and interesting! If you could e-mail me back at alexandraklip@gmail.com, I would love to talk with you.

Thank you for your time,
Alexandra Klippert

RE3.org said...

Dodge This!, thanks for reading!