In the summer of 2008 we held recycling nights at three minor league baseball games throughout North Carolina – the Kinston Indians, the Hickory Crawdads and the Asheville Tourists. We surveyed attendees at each location. Below are the survey results.
51 female, 22 male, 8 no response
Ages ranged from 15-64 (largest group was age 18-34)
1. How do you like to spend your free time?
- Listening to or playing music was the most common way people spend their free time with Watching TV/movies second.
- For the 18-34 year old demographic, music was still the number one thing to do but “hanging out” was the second most popular activity.
- The male respondents noted “Participate in an outdoor activity” as their second preference for spending their free time.
2. How do you get your news and information?
- TV was the most common daily source of news.
- For the 18-34 year old demographic, radio, TV and friends all received equal votes for daily news sources.
- The 50-64 year olds had newspaper down as their preferred method of receiving news.
- The most popular way for female respondents to get the news is by TV but men receive news via the phone or radio more often.
- Males in the 17-24 year old age range are most likely to use the Internet as their daily means of receiving news.
3. Brand recognition
- 43% of all respondents had seen the Recycle Guys before. 16% had seen RE3.org before.
- 38% of males had seen Recycle Guys and 25% had seen RE3.org. 46% of females had seen Recycle Guys and 22% had seen RE3.org.
- At the Hickory baseball game more people had seen the Recycle Guys logo (58%) than in the other communities.
Some interesting insights from this data.
- Tag recycling to music events, festivals, radio shows, CD give-aways etc.
- Incorporate recycling into outdoor activities to reach the male population.
- Newspaper is an appropriate method for an older demographic.
- Phone and Internet is a way to communicate with young males.
- TV advertising that has been used in the Hickory area does help brand the Recycle Guys.