Paid Internship – Raleigh, N.C.
The N.C. Division of Pollution Prevention and Environmental Assistance is a non-regulatory division with three recycling campaigns: Recycle Guys (dancing cartoons aimed at 5-12-year-olds), RE3.org (campaign geared toward 18-34-year-olds) and Recycle More NC (for the 35-55-year-old demographic). All campaigns use social marketing as a way to change behavior with the ultimate goal of recycling more material throughout N.C.
MAJOR TASKS TO BE PERFORMED:
- The intern(s) will help evaluate the three recycling campaigns. This will include: Creating surveys, conducting surveys and analyzing data.
- Intern(s) will also utilize social media like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to further promote the campaigns. This will include creating content for the sites along with the MyEcoville site.
- The intern(s) may also write case studies on successful recycling practices, create press releases and other media documents and assist in Division-led webinars.
- The intern(s) will also be involved in project management including contests and America Recycles Day.
- The intern(s) will also assist in implementing new banned materials legislation, specifically the January 2011 state landfill ban of televisions and computers.
- Staffing the RE3.org booth at various outreach events such as the state fair is also a responsibility of this position(s).
The position(s) is/are open to graduate or undergraduate students with a concentration in communications & marketing, environmental science/natural resources, public administration or other related fields. Applicants should:
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Have knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Have great organizational skills
- Have the ability to work independently
- Have a vehicle to drive to outreach events and have the ability to work some weekends
- Have the ability to lift 25 pounds
The paid position(s) is/are only open to currently enrolled students (summer 2010 and fall 2010). We accept volunteers for unpaid positions. All resumes received will be passed around to other divisions within DENR that might have available positions.
Employment would begin May 24, 2010 and would continue through the fall semester. The student would need to work at least 10 hours per week throughout the school year. The position is located at 2728 Capital Blvd in Raleigh. The hourly wage will be $11-$12.50 per hour, depending on experience. Benefits will not be provided.
Position is open until filled. If interested, please e-mail a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.