Recently on a listserv I read a post from Linda Rohret who discussed the six stages of behavior change from the 1997 article in the “American Journal of Health Promotion” written by Prochaska and Velicer.
A good reminder as summarize by Linda - Our goal is to move people from precontemplation to termination.
- Precontemplation, not intending to take action in the foreseeable future, usually measured as the next 6 months
- Contemplation, intending to change in the next 6 months
- Preparation, intending to take action in the immediate future, usually measured as the next month
- Action, have made specific overt modifications in the their life styles within the past 6 months
- Maintenance, working to prevent relapse, the authors estimated maintenance lasts from 6 months to about 5 years
- Termination, zero temptation and 100% self-efficacy